Hair loss is not a respecter of gender – it affects women as well as men. A woman might reach her forties before thinning becomes noticeable, but it’s more common than you may realize.
There are treatments available for both women and men who are experiencing hair loss. Let’s talk about what’s involved and what you can do about it.
Ways to Treat Hair Loss in Women
Though some hair loss is natural, losing a significant or sudden amount of hair can be a sign of an underlying condition. A hair restoration physician will diagnose your condition, determine the cause behind your hair loss, and prescribe treatment that will work for you.
There are both surgical and nonsurgical options to help restore your hair and give you your confidence back. Hair transplant surgery involves extracting healthy hair follicles from your scalp or another area of your body that has plenty of hair. Once the follicles are excised, they are then implanted into the thinning or balding area for regrowth.
The main types of hair restoration surgery are the FUE and FUT methods:
- FUE (follicular unit excision) is when individual follicles from a donor area – usually the back of the head, near your neck – are removed and transplanted into the area of the scalp where the hair is thin. It is a precise and intricate process, as the follicles are individually removed and transplanted.
- FUT (follicular unit transplant) is similar to FUE, except the hair is transplanted from a long strip of hair donated from the lower back of the scalp. The strip is then cut into tiny grafts, which are implanted into the thinning or balding area. This is usually cheaper and takes less time than the FUE method, but the area where the strip of skin and follicles were removed tends to be more painful during the healing phase.
There are also nonsurgical options, including:
- ACell + PRP therapy, which is where the hair restoration doctor will inject your scalp with this special treatment to help foster hair regrowth. ACell is a matrix that is derived from animal tissue cells, and PRP (platelet-rich plasma) is taken from your own blood sample for its healing properties.
- PRP therapy, which is a hair-loss treatment to help stop early hair loss from developing further. It is also used to help stimulate dormant hair follicles so they’ll start growing hair again.
- Low-level laser therapy (LLLT), which is a device you wear underneath your favorite hat for about 20 minutes at a time, just three times per day. The lasers stimulate the hair follicles in people whose hair is becoming too thin and fragile.
Your hair doctor will determine why it is occurring in order to establish a successful treatment that will work for you.
Hair Loss Expert in KCMO and Des Moines
There are several excellent treatment options for women who are experiencing hair loss, and all are available here at Darling Hair Restoration. Dr. Scott Darling has many years of experience in the medical field and in hair restoration, and he will take your personal health history and treat your condition for optimum success.
Call us today at (816) 792-3400 to request an appointment, or fill out our easy-to-use online form. We look forward to helping you love what you see in the mirror!