A first peek of thinning hair can be terribly disappointing. We all shed some hair every day, which differs from person to person, but the beginning of thinning hair or a receding hairline usually prompts us to consider how to prevent it from continuing.
Let’s talk about some of the at-home things you can do to help prevent hair loss, and where you can go in Kansas City and Des Moines for professional medical treatment that keeps your locks looking great.
Why Am I Losing My Hair?
Treating hair loss often depends on the reason behind its cause. Hair loss has various causes, including the following:
- The gene for hair loss can be passed down from either the mother’s or father’s side, though you’re more likely to have it if both have had some hair loss.
- Experiencing a high level of stress can cause your hair to fall out, especially emotional stress or a sudden shock.
- Nutritional deficiencies. A poor diet can dig a grave for your hair, as it is not providing the adequate elements your hair follicles need to thrive.
- Hormonal changes. Hormonal imbalance can interfere with the growth of your hair and make it difficult to keep its luster.
- Certain diseases and medications. Some thyroid problems can hinder the growth cycle of your hair. Diseases like hypertension (high blood pressure) can also have an impact.
How Can I Prevent Hair Loss?
If you want to take action to prevent or even reverse your hair loss, let’s untangle some effective at-home remedies:
Follow a Healthy Diet
Your hair needs adequate amounts of minerals and vitamins. A balanced, healthy diet that fosters healthy hair should contain:
- Protein (lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds)
- Essential fatty acids (fatty fish, such as tuna and salmon)
- Leafy green vegetables (lettuce, kale, and spinach contain iron, zinc, and vitamin C for strong hair)
- Fruits (their antioxidants help protect hair follicles from free-radical damage)
Adopt a Low-Stress Lifestyle
Engaging in regular exercise, sleeping for 7 to 9 hours each night, staying hydrated, keeping your alcohol intake to a minimum, and taming your stress levels can and will resume your hair’s normal growth. Meditation every day is a great way to reduce stress levels and calm your mind.
Massage Your Scalp with Healthy Oils
Massage your scalp with oils like olive oil or coconut oil, with a few drops of essential oil – such as tea tree oil and peppermint oil – to stimulate your hair follicles. Massaging the scalp is also linked with lowering stress levels.
Shampoo in the Right Way
Washing your hair properly is a key factor in sustaining a healthy environment for hair growth. Don’t use hot water or too much shampoo, which will irritate your scalp and break down your hair. Also, don’t pull your hair, which will put stress on your follicles.
Apply Licorice Root to the Hair
Applying a teaspoon of licorice paste to your scalp for a night and washing it in the morning can soothe the skin that supports your hair while getting rid of any dandruff.
Professional Hair Loss Treatment in Kansas City and Des Moines
At-home remedies don’t work all the time; they can help to prevent hair loss that is caused by external factors, but they will not solve hair loss that is due to heredity. To the rescue is Dr. Scott Darling of Darling Hair Restoration, who offers both surgical and nonsurgical hair-restoration methods.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation with Dr. Darling to solve your hair loss, contact our friendly staff today by calling (816) 792-3400 or by filling out our appointment request form online. We look forward to helping you keep your hair looking the way you want it to look!