However, as with any other treatment that entails making a major decision, it’s imperative that you take your time to know what the hair restoration process involves so as to make a well-informed decision.
Follicular Unit Excision (FUE)
The follicular unit excision technique involves your hair doctor individually collecting hair follicles from a donor site in another area of your scalp through up to thousands of tiny incisions and transplanting them into the recipient site. Your hair doctor will then clean and bandage the donor area.
- Absence of large incisions- less postoperative pain, quick recovery, and very low risk for complications
- No linear scars
- Less likely to result in a “hair plug” look, in which the hair or skin sections don’t match their surrounding areas
- Can be costly
- Appearance of tiny white scars on the areas where the follicles were extracted
- Yields fewer grafts – Number of grafts is usually dictated by the density and size of donor area.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Follicular unit transplantation involves your hair doctor taking a strip of skin from a donor site, separating and preparing (dissecting) the hair follicles, and transplanting them into the small incisions made in the recipient site. The incision created in the donor site is then closed with stitches.
- Better coverage and fullness- Able to treat larger problem areas with just a few sessions
- Low resection rate- provides permanent and natural results.
- Poses risk of scarring (leaves a linear scar where the strip is excised)
- Can take a longer recovery period for each treatment session
- More potential for complications
- Scars can become larger and therefore more visible.
Hair Restoration Expert in Liberty, MO and Urbandale, IA
If you’re in search of a reputable hair restoration expert in Liberty, Missouri or Urbandale, Iowa, choose Dr. Scott Darling here at Darling Hair Restoration. He has a proven track record spanning over three decades for his expertise, professionalism, and the unmatched treatment outcomes he delivers.
When you come in for a consultation with Dr. Darling, he will perform a comprehensive evaluation and discuss with you the available surgical and nonsurgical options. From there, he will help you weigh your options and decide the most suitable one for you based on the severity of your problem, personal preference, and other considerations. Regardless of which type of treatment you’re getting from Dr. Darling, you can rest assured that he will provide you with top-notch, personalized care— before, during, and after.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Darling, call our hair clinic today at (816) 792-3400 or use our online request form.