From genetics and natural aging to bad habits — there are many reasons why we lose hair. Although it’s normal and happens to everyone, it can be quite distressing. Sometimes, it can be caused by medical conditions too. Fortunately, a good hair loss treatment can save your crowning glory. You just need to discern what’s right and what works for you — and a dermatologist can help you with that!
Let’s find out if you should get hair regrowth treatment or a hair loss shampoo and where you can go in Liberty, MO, for outstanding hair regrowth treatment.
What Is Hair Regrowth Treatment?
There are many pharmaceutical, surgical, and nonsurgical treatments available to treat hair loss and promote hair growth. These include:
Over-the-counter (OTC) minoxidil comes in the form of liquid, shampoo, and foam. It’s applied to your scalp once or twice daily to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
It takes about three to six months to see results. Hair loss returns once you stop applying it, so you’ll need to use it continuously. Possible side effects include scalp irritation and unwanted hair growth in other body parts, such as the face and hands.
Taken daily as a pill, it slows hair loss and promotes hair growth. Like minoxidil, it takes a few months to tell if it’s working or not — and if it is, you’ll need to keep taking it to retain its benefits. Some possible side effects include decreased libido, impotence, and rarely, increased risk of prostate cancer.
In this procedure, healthy hair with active growth is removed from areas of your scalp and then transplanted to thinning or balding areas. It’s a highly effective and permanent solution. On top of that, it looks more natural as well.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment
It involves using the plasma from your own blood and injecting it into the area with hair loss. It’s a short procedure, usually taking about 10 minutes. You may need to return for repeat injections, but it’s a perfectly safe and effective hair loss treatment.
Low-Level Laser Therapy
Low-level laser therapy uses devices like laser caps or combs, to treat hair loss. It will give you fuller and thicker hair. Though safe and painless, it does require many treatment sessions to see results. You might need weeks or months of treatment to have hair regrowth, but remember that not everyone who had laser therapy saw regrowth.
Microneedling stimulates hair growth. When used with minoxidil, patients often have significant hair growth after three months. Hair growth also improves when it’s used with PRP treatment. Even without a prescription, it’s possible to buy a micro-needling device. But it’s still advisable to consult with a doctor first as it can sometimes worsen some conditions.
Hair Regrowth Supplements
With diagnostic tests, your doctor can determine what supplements you need. Here are some of the supplements that help treat hair loss:
- It can help bridge your nutrition gap. Vitamin B, zinc, and vitamin D are recommended. Here are the foods you can eat:
- Vitamin B: seafood, dark leafy greens, and whole grains
- Zinc: Beef, oysters, lentils, and spinach
- Vitamin D: Mushrooms, fatty fish, fortified milk, juices, and cereals
- Vitamin A. It helps your hair grow. You can find Vitamin A in milk, yogurt, eggs, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, kale, and carrots.
- Vitamin C. It fights free radicals, which cause your hair to age and block growth. Strawberries, citrus fruits, and peppers are foods with Vitamin C.
- It is important for hair health and growth. Some iron-containing foods include legumes, such as lentils, tofu and beans, red meat, and dark leafy greens.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids. It makes your scalp and hair healthier. You can get it in shellfish, flaxseed, and fish oil.
- It’s recommended to take three to five milligrams of biotin daily. You could also get it from egg yolks, fish, nuts, seeds, whole grains, cauliflower, broccoli, and meat.
What Is Hair Loss Shampoo?
Hair loss shampoo might sound miraculous, but they don’t often work- it’s a gimmick. In fact, it’s only effective if you have a scalp condition, such as dandruff or psoriasis, but it’s not an effective hair loss treatment. And to top it all off, it has unpleasant side effects like skin irritation, hair or scalp oiliness and dryness, abnormal hair texture, and discoloration.
In addition, no shampoo has been clinically proven to support hair regrowth. But shampoos that give the appearance of fuller and thicker hair cause people to believe otherwise. It is still best to consult with your doctor for hair loss treatment options.
Hair Loss Treatment in Liberty, MO
At Darling Hair Restoration, we’re dedicated to using our cutting-edge equipment and expertise to halt hair loss and promote hair regrowth. Dr. Darling is highly committed to providing patients with the best hair care and treatments. If you want to schedule a consultation, call us today. You can also use our online appointment request form.