A hair transplant doctor assesses the scalp and performs the procedure of moving hair follicles from one area of the scalp, where hair is more dense, to the balding areas where the patient wants more hair. Hair transplants can be done to place healthy hair follicles virtually wherever you’d like, even to the eyebrows, beard, and mustache areas.
There are two main methods used in hair transplants: follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplant (FUT). The hair surgery itself is typically performed under local anesthesia, with the doctor making small incisions in the scalp and carefully placing each individual hair into its new home.
There are many doctors today who want to perform hair transplant surgery, but not all of them are successful. A given hair transplant surgeon’s experience and prior successes are major predictors of the success of your own transplant by that hair doctor.
Let’s talk about what you should look for when considering a hair doctor to perform your hair transplant or other professional hair treatment, and where you can go in Kansas City for a hair doctor who can give you that fuller, more youthful hair back.
How to Choose a Hair Doctor for Your Transplant
It is important to find a hair doctor who specializes in hair transplant surgery, has performed the procedure you are interested in many times, and has had success with it. Look for “Before and After” pictures to gauge the quality of hair transplant results from the potential hair transplant doctor.
It is recommended that you ask the following questions during your initial consultation:
- Am I a good candidate for hair transplant surgery? If not, what other options do you recommend?
- What is your experience with hair transplant surgery?
- Which technique do you recommend for me? The FUT or FUE method? And why?
- How many times have you performed the recommended procedure?
- How should I prepare for hair transplant surgery?
- What is recovery like? How much time will I need to take off from work/school?
- What potential complications should I be aware of?
- What should my expectations be from hair transplant surgery?
A consultation is your opportunity to get to know the hair transplant doctor, and to discuss your hair transplant goals.
Signs It’s Time to Make an Appointment with a Hair Doctor
- You’re noticing more and more hair on your brush or on your pillow.
- Your part is getting wider, or you can clearly see scalp where hair used to be.
- You’ve tried every over-the-counter hair product with unsatisfactory results.
- Your ponytail is noticeably thinner than it used to be.
- You can see more of your scalp when you pull your hair back into a tight bun or ponytail.
- Hairstyles and treatments that previously hid your thinning areas are no longer working as well as they used to.
- You are feeling self-conscious about your hair, and you feel like people are staring at your thinning hair or bald spot.
Hair Transplant Doctor in Kansas City, MO
Dr. Scott Darling at Darling Hair Restoration is an experienced and highly successful hair doctor in Kansas City and Des Moines. Dr. Darling specializes in hair restoration and is able to offer you different methods to treat hair thinning and hair loss, including hair transplant surgery. He also offers nonsurgical treatments that can help boost the look and fullness of your hair.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Darling and find out what your options are. Call our hair clinic today at (816) 792-3400 or fill out our convenient appointment request form online now. We look forward to helping you love how you look in the mirror!